Mario,
Boola, Boola, was before anybody's time!  I echo your sentiment, too!
 Academics were the thing for me, too!  Sports is the reward, for
having done the work, first!  Back in the 70's I saw nothing but kids
who wanted to be a pro!  My advice was, "learn all you can, first so
you enjoy the fact, that sports is the recreation deserved, for a job
well done in school"!  I dunno, but I enjoyed cheering, knowing that,
I missed the honor roll, by a few points! All A's and maybe a B+, kept
me on the cheering squad!  Without those grades, I was "toast"!  No
activities, except books, were it not for my fierce competiveness, in
getting those grades!  It guaranteed me, that I wasn't just a "pretty"
face!

My nemisis, was I had an older sister, who was skipped a grade, she
was so smart!  She graduated Xavier at 16, honor society, a debutante,
her senior year, etc.  I had to follow her example, because this was
how parents raised their kids, back then.  It was "Be like your
sister", which was no easy feat, for me.  I had to put my nose to the
grindstone, studing most nights until after 10PM, when there was
mid-terms, etc.  To my surprise, when you are a constant A student,
you get exempted from certain exams, unless they are state mandated!

I was one lucky kid, to have the kind of parents, I had. My father
taught me Algebra, who without his help, I'd have been a "bum", as the
sisters would say!  So no, I didn't become a bum, or the H word, so
prevalent in today's society.  The B and H words were for girls who
didn't care about themselves.  My mother said they were "common"!
Funny, I never heard a boy say those words, only grownups used that
language and rarely.  I remember my Mom, calling someone a "harlot"
and when I asked what it was, she rolled her eyes at me and said, "you
don't want to know"!   Sports are good for children.  It teaches
sportsmanship and discipline.  How to be a member of a team, rather
than a gang and making friends, for life.

When an adult who could be doing something else, takes time, for kids,
I call that "love".  It's sad, that the Little League Coach is going
through something that can be made simple!  This is what turns me off
and wonder what the hell is going on in this town!