--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Back to AP, and I'm not trying to cry over spilled milk.  I'm
genuinely
> curious.
>
> Werner  -  Do you any input about have that crappy sewer building  got
> approval?  When?  By whom?  and is rook right about the  potential
for flipping.

Asbury Park's system is one of the earliest in America, very high
technology for the time. The entire system is based upon gravity flow,
water runs downhill to the lowest point.

Since the Ocean presented a large 'waste basket' all pipes converged
at Ocean and 8th Avenue for discharge into the sea. Subsequently, a
treatment/filtering plant was built at that site (between Ocean Ave
and the Boardwalk) to provide cleaner output.

When that plant was deemed obsolete the City was faced with difficult
choices. The existing Plant site was too small to accommodate modern
standards, yet that is the place where all the wastewater ends up
(remember gravity)

Options included building Pumping Station and new pipe to redirect the
flow west to the site of the current 7-11 on Main St. From there it
could be pumped to Ocean Twp's Treatment Plant to the North. No thank
you said Ocean Twp.

With Redevelopment in the works it was decided to take all of 8th Ave
between Kingsley and Ocean for a new plant site. It cost nothing since
it was a public road. Also Ocean Ave was being closed entirely in the
new redevelopment plan which added a few more feet to the site.

A new ultra-modern plant was built with capacity to accommodate
anticipated development. It is primarily underground and uses active
digestion to clean the wastewater. A surface plant of that capacity
would take several acres of land.

As to the part of the building in the former Ocean Ave (a loading dock
and sludge pit), yes it could have been relocated, however all the
space around the Plant has since been designated for development
making the issue moot.

Note also that the building was designed to support parking on the
roof. Work is currently underway to enhance odor control.

Werner
City Historian in Exile Porch Baumgartner