Agreed. I say build on the character of the waterfront and the
history. Keep that which makes AP great, eg, the Stone Pony,
Convention Hall etc and build on that to make AP even more of a
destination.
In addition, for all the land with rotting buildings on it... Level
it, break it up into lots and sell it for a reasonable price to
allow
people to build their dream house by the ocean. If there are some
condos, those condos must be more reasonably priced. It is crazy to
think that with AP's reputation, a developer can come in sell
$500,000
plus condos right off the bat. There are not many people who want to
spend that kind of money for a luxury condo in what most people
perceive to be a ghetto. I bought my house in AP 3 years ago bc I
wanted a place by the beach and this is the one town where I could
buy
one for a somewhat reasonable price. There are a lot more people
like
me. People who are willing to spend say $200K to $350K to take a
chance on a changing town, to have a place by the ocean, etc. There
are far fewer who want to take a $1,000,000 chance. And it they have
that money, they will spend it on a "nicer" town.
I feel the focus should be on getting those $200K to $350K home
owners
in and paying taxes. Once that base is in, the city can grow from
there. If greed keeps people focused on getting the $1 million crew
in, the projects will collapse. That highest end stuff should be a
long range goal.
Think about Hoboken, a place where I also owned a home. Hoboken is
really expensive now, but it did not start out that way. I bought a
condo on the water in one of the nicest, newest buildings for
$295,000. Now, that apartment is probably worth $550,000. But,
Hoboken
is next to the city, and is a pretty place safe to live. Asbury can
get
there, but it is not there yet. It cannot sustain Hoboken prices
yet.
(Or, Hoboken rents, eg, the Steinbach building). Anyway, that's my
view.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>