--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Reading the online Coaster article -
>
> "...
> After being shown plans for the Fifth Avenue Pavilion TRC members
> said they wanted the two connected buildings, the old Howard
Johnson
> and the attached pavilion to have a more cohesive look.
>
> Towry said she was glad restoration of the band shell is included
in
> the plans.
> ..."
>
> The TRC is the "Technical Review Committee" - Technical as in does
> the proposal meet the specifications of the Plan.
>
> Hello ??? It is ONE Building - the 5Th Avenue pavilion.
> Its specified as a significant Historic element to be retained.
> Restored as originally designed.
>
> There would be nothing more 'cohesive' than restoring it.
>
> A continue to be amazed (well maybe not) that the basic premise of
> what is to become of this wonderful piece of 1960s architecture is
> not understood by the very committee handed that responsibility.
>
> My (partial) comments at the Council Meeting are in todays Coaster.
>
> Werner

I agree.  Out of everything that was announced, this was by far the
most dissappointing part to me.  This pavilion needs to be redone in
the same brick that it used to have before they ruined it by painting
it.  The building is a relic, a charm, a truly fantastic piece of doo-
wop style architecture from the 50s/60s.  Part of what makes it that
is the style of brick that is used.

The only change I liked on the new rendering is the wavy overhangs on
the boardwalk side... there really doesnt have to be a need for a
walkway on that side of the second floor of the pavilion, everyone
who is entering the bandshell is going to do it from the ramp which
empties out on the west side of the second floor anyway.  I think it
adds a nice touch.

Lets hope they go back to the original brick and old color scheme.
That kind (and all kinds) of architecture arent just based on their
form... they rely on the right materials.
I cant see Convention Hall working with stucco or white metal panels,
while the Paramount Theatre keeps its original brick facade.  The 5th
avenue pavilion needs to be thought about in the same way.

Unfortunately, I dont think there is as much of an appreciation for
space-age and doo-wop style buildings.  Its a shame because it really
should be respected more.