At some point in our country, bicycles stopped being taken seriously.
While there's still plenty of competitive cyclists, mountain bikers, commuters
etc, in the
world of kids, bicycles aren't hip any more.
You never see commercials on TV for bicycles, and even though we have an
obesity
epidemic in our country that effects our children, has anybody ever seen a PR
campaign
that advocates bicycle usage?
No.
Same goes for bicycle education for kids. Kids simply aren't being taught
responsible
cycling.
I know this for a fact because I spent many years of my life working at The
Peddler in Long
Branch, and I saw the downward spiral of kids and bike usage first hand.
Deal is a prime example. The bicyclists there are the worst behaved, most rude
and most
inconsiderate i've ever seen, anywhere. They are clueless, and it's a horrible
accident just
waiting to happen.
And nobody is doing anything about it. Neither the PD or the parents. It's been
going on
for years.
I'm going to call the Deal PD and tell them about what I experienced yesterday.
It really makes me sad that bicycling is not taken seriously in America. If it
was, it could
help with so many problems, from using less gas, to helping out population
combat their
weight and health problems.