"They are not modern, they are cheap. Thats the "new" trend in todays

architecture sometimes refered to as placeless design or cartoon

architecture."

     In my opinion, they are modern.  But, to each their own!  You have the
right to think what you want, just like I do! :-)

"Basics like massing, details and color are mismatched or out of

scale. Certainly you have seen the trend in suburban malls and

housing developments."

     I don't think the colors are mismatched at all.  That's one of the main
features that give it it's modern flare in my opinion.

"You mention brick buildings, brick has texture, creates shadow

lines, has variations in color - a much better look thats

traditional and interesting."

     That's usually true with bricks, although not with the bricks that were
used previously!  They were solid yellow bricks.  A type of brick that were
frequently used in the 60's and also before.  They were real bricks, in good
shape, but they gave a dated look in my opinion.  They reminded me of an old
fashioned 1970's building.  The kind that stands out with an obvious dated
look!  Just my thoughts.