--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As I teacher, I've always been advised by my administrators that the
> district was responsible for basic supplies for all students.
>
> Most students came with their own, but by law we had to provide for
those
> who could not. In individual budgets allocated to each teacher,
paper, pencils,
> pens, etc. were the first items we had to allocate for.  If we had
left  over
> inventory from the previous year,

That's what I thought. I was told by a teacher in Long Branch and my
sister when she was in Neptune - they are NOT allowed to ask the kids
to bring in supplies.

Over in OT, we were given a list of what the kids NEEDED for school.
When it started to get nuts, guess what? Yep. I told the teach that I
am not buying colored index cards w/binders or ten colors of
highlighters. You're only supposed to highlight a couple things - not
the entire book (which then becomes useless).

Again - I'm all for helping the kids out so they don't feel left out
when they walk in the room.

At the end of the year - have the kids empty all the "leftover"
supplies in a nice big box vs the garbage. The kids usually throw out
the highlighters, paper, pencils,folders and pens - and do the teachers.

Why?  When I was in Grenada (not in the war...) and in Africa years ago
with my father, the kids would be riding the bus or walking to school -
all dressed in uniforms (in Grenada IBM and US supplied I was told)
carrying their little pencils. That was it. That was what they had and
they cherished it. Thast was about 18 years ago and I thought I'd
collect "old" pens and pencils, crayons etc and ship them out. Never
did it.

No, I'm not saying that the kids should start the first day of school
with leftovers  - but they can be used during the year as "extras".
They still work.