In a message dated 7/16/2008 4:58:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I just sent for the transcript from Alacra, and will post it.  Lots  there to
apply to AP district.  I will post with they send me the  download link.

Here it is:
ROSE: I am pleased now to talk about education from a different  perspective
with Michelle Rhee.
RHEE: Thank you.
ROSE: You`ve got new personality. You`ve closed some schools. You`ve  brought
some new people in. What`s happening to raise the scores?
RHEE: I think a lot of things. I think the bottom line is that we  have begun
to shift the culture and that people understand that it`s no longer  business
as usual and that this is going to be a cultural accountability. One of  the
first things and probably the most dramatic things, in a lot of ways, that  we
did was we introduced legislation to the City Council that asked for
permission to turn all of the central office school district employees into at
will
employees. And after sort of a battle, we did that, and the City Council
approved that legislation. And that was one of the sort of key parts, I think,
this, you know, sea change that`s begun to occur in the District around
people understanding that they`re going to be accountable for the work that
they`re doing and they`re going to be accountable for producing results.
ROSE: What happens in the classroom that makes a difference? What is  it that
a teacher has to do?
RHEE: A teacher, number one, has to be extraordinarily clear with the
students about what the expectations are. Those expectations need to be very
high,
because the kids know when you don`t have high expectations of them. And  they
will rise or fall to the level of expectations that the adults have of  them.
And then they need to be just absolutely relentless in their pursuit of
those expectations and of those goals. They have to hold the kids accountable.
They have to hold themselves accountable. And they have to make sure that all
these things that could serve as excuses are challenges that need to be
understood and they need to be recognized, but they won`t stand in the way of,
you
know, these kids achieving at the highest level.
ROSE: You have aid one time about your own teaching and your own  experience
that it wasn`t so much that you were the world`s greatest teacher or  even
that you had the world`s most brilliant ideas.
RHEE: That`s right.
ROSE: It`s just sweat and sweat and sweat, in there every day, every  moment,
making the kids know this is about you, not your parents, not some
administrator, not some politician, but you.
RHEE: That`s right. One of the things that I did with the kids, I --  one day
I brought in a list that was published in the "Baltimore Sun" of all of  the
schools in the District and how they ranked on the test scores. Ours was at
the bottom. I asked the kids, so what do you think people think about us when
they see that, you know, our school`s at the bottom of this list. The kids
said,  people think we`re dumb. And I said that`s right. Are we dumb? And they
would  say no. I said, that`s right, we got to show people what we can do and I
got  them all riled up.
Kids understood that. They wanted to actually know where they stood  in
relation to other kids. They wanted to be inspired in that way. They knew  they
could do more. And so people thought I was crazy to have those kinds of
conversations with eight year olds. But I thought it was exactly the kind of
inspiration that they needed, because they knew that they could achieve at much

higher levels.
ROSE: Are you saying to me that if, in fact, America goes out and  finds the
best teachers, the very best teachers, and put them in the classrooms,
teachers who know how to inspire and encourage, that we could change public
education in America?
RHEE: There`s no doubt in my mind about that.
ROSE: That`s it.
RHEE: There`s no doubt in my mind about that, absolutely.
ROSE: Then why aren`t we doing that?
RHEE: That`s a great question. That`s what I spent the last 15 years  of my
life fighting for, because everything, all the research, all of the data,
everything shows that when you have a great teacher, all of those barriers can
be
overcome. And they literally are sort of, you know, put on the side line if
you have a wonderful teacher. And it can make up for any achievement gap.
Wonderful things, if you have the right educators. That`s where our focus has
be 100 percent.
ROSE: Why aren`t we getting it?
RHEE: Look first at how teachers are sort of treated now. When I came  into
the school system, you know, I met a lot of educators who I think are
absolutely heroic who are currently teaching in DC public schools. They were
treated
incredibly poorly. They couldn`t get their pay checks on time. They  couldn`t
get their spouses on the benefit plan, that sort of thing. So they  weren`t
given the support that they needed to be successful.
I have -- I have a quick story. I got an e-mail at 1:00 in the  morning one
from a student in DC and he sent me this email and said basically,  if you
really want to know what`s wrong with our schools, you should come and  talk to
the kids, because I`m afraid that by talking to the adults you might not  be
getting the real story.
ROSE: How old was this kid?
RHEE: A high school student. So I set this appointment up. I went to  go talk
to him and a group of students and I walk in the room. They were all  sitting
around the room. They pull out this three page, typed, single spaced  agenda
of the things they wanted to go over with me, very prepared. The first  thing
on their list was they said, we have on average 15 teachers absent a day  from
this school. If the teachers aren`t here to teach, how do you expect us to
learn? I did not have good answer to that question.
They spent an hour just drilling me on all these things in school  that were
going wrong. I thought, I`m not going to be able to solve all these  problems
in the time frame that these kids have, because most of them were  seniors.
Before I left, I said if there was only one thing that you could choose  that
you believe would most radically improve what`s going on in this school and
your education, what would that be? And they said, bring us more great
teachers.
All the other great stuff on this list doesn`t matter if we have great
teachers.
Then they said, bring us more great teachers like Mr. Wallace. So  they start
to tell me about Mr. Wallace. They said, Mr. Wallace is the best. He  sets up
camp at the McDonald`s down the street after school. If you`re hungry,  he
buys you a hamburger, but he makes you stay. He tutors you in pre-calculus
until you understand all the homework, you can pass the test. We know that guy
cares about us. If you bring us more teachers like Mr. Wallace, we`re going to
be good.
So after I had this conversation with them, I go trekking through the  school
and looking for Mr. Wallace. I finally find his room. I walk in and the  kid
looks like he`s aged seven years in 18 months. He`s a Teach for America Corp
member. I walk in and he`s a mess. He`s got chalk dust in his hair and pit
stains on his shirt. I say Mr. Wallace, the kids love you. He`s like, I know.
He`s at the end of his second year commitment. I said are you going  to say
next year. He says I don`t know. I said why. I know the guy`s spending  half of
his 40,000 dollar salary on hamburgers every night at McDonald`s, but  why?
And he says to me -- he`s like, first of all, I spend all my free periods
covering for other teachers who aren`t here. I don`t have any time to plan. I
don`t know anything about teaching Spanish or teaching English, but I know the
kids are going to get more out of it if I`m in front of them than if we stick
the next video in.
And then he says, people here, they don`t like me that much. They`re  always
saying to me, Wallace don`t come in so early, don`t stay late.
ROSE: You make us look bad.
RHEE: Yes, you make us look bad. It`s not part of the contract. So  I`m
thinking to myself, this is the exact kind of teacher that we both want and
need
in this system. And we haven`t created an environment where this guy feels
like he can be successful. That`s the biggest crime I think that we`re doing by

not setting people up for success.
ROSE: Can you fire teachers?
RHEE: Currently, it is --
ROSE: The current contract you`re negotiating --
RHEE: The contract that`s in existence right now.
ROSE: You can`t fire teachers.
RHEE: You can. It`s very difficult.
ROSE: Can you fire them because they`re bad teachers, inadequate  teachers,
their kids don`t do well, their kids don`t like them?
RHEE: There`s a process that you can go through where you have to  show a
tremendous amount of documentation to show that a teacher is incompetent  or
ineffective.
ROSE: Suppose you have a teacher that`s doing a fantastic job like  Mr.
Wallace. Can you double his salary?
RHEE: Absolutely not, no way.
ROSE: Your a principal, your superintendent, your chancellor can`t  say we
want to pay Mr. Wallace a lot more money.
RHEE: No. I can barely bring in the principals that I need because  our
salaries for principals are so much lower than the surrounding jurisdiction.
I`m
trying to poach right now. I`m trying to poach the best principals from all
over the region. They`re actually inspired to come. My biggest inhibitor right
now is I can`t pay them anywhere near what they`re making right now in the
counties.
ROSE: Because you don`t have the money or because --
RHEE: No, because there are rules and regulations that govern how  much I am
allowed to pay folks.
ROSE: This is part of the union contract?
RHEE: Yes. There are a whole lot of rules. There are municipal rules.  There
are contract rules. But I am absolutely prohibited from going above a  certain
amount in terms of compensation.
ROSE: Question of the teacher `s union; Randy Weingarten on this  program
said many things, and I think she would say a lot of thing you`re in  favor,
she`s in favor. Do you think that`s true?
RHEE: I think that she probably says, yes, that she`s in favor of a  lot of
the things I`m in favor of.
ROSE: She says we like charter schools. She says we believe in merit  pay.
She says --
RHEE: I believe that one of the things that we have to be cognizant  of is
believing in charter schools does not mean you start a charter school or  two
charter schools. If you truly believe in charter schools, then you believe  in
an open market system where charter schools can flourish. If she really
believed in charter schools, is she advocating for a lift of the cap of charter

schools? I don`t think so.
ROSE: Do you believe that teachers` salaries ought to be based in  part on
how their kids do on standard tests?
RHEE: Absolutely.
ROSE: You believe that?
RHEE: Absolutely.
ROSE: Does she believe that?
RHEE: I don`t think so.
ROSE: Do you believe teachers unions are part of the problem in  American
education today?
RHEE: I believe that the constructs that are in existence, I believe  that
the collective bargaining agreements that govern how school districts  operate
when it comes to teachers and human capital and school districts today  are a
big barrier, definitely.
ROSE: But it`s because of the contracts you negotiated for.
RHEE: That`s correct.
ROSE: And the teacher`s union negotiates on the other side.
RHEE: That`s right. Let me clear. You asked, do I believe the  teacher`s
unions are the problem. My thing is people like to demonize the  teachers
unions.
They like to say, it`s all the teachers unions fault. These  contracts were
negotiated by two parties, and superintendents and school boards  across the
country have signed off on these contracts just as much as the  teachers union
has. So the blame does not fit, in my mind, with one party or the  other.
ROSE: It`s with politicians who make deals, who negotiate deals  because they
have political constraints or political imperatives.
RHEE: I certainly think that is part of the issue. And if you look  today at
school boards, a lot of school board members are -- you know, were  elected
with the union money and that sort of thing. And so are they going to  off and,
you know, negotiate really aggressive union contracts? Probably not.
ROSE: So tenure, that`s a big issue.
RHEE: Yes.
ROSE: What are the issues for you beyond tenure that you think ought  to be
part of a program for change for American public education K-12?
RHEE: I think that, at the end of the day, it all comes down to
accountability. We have to be able to hold rMD+IN_rMDNM_everyone accountable
for  the
results they`re producing for kids. That`s the bottom line. If you operate
within
that mind set or that construct, then all of your problems are solved.
Now, if we talk about more of the nuts and bolts, certainly tenure is  an
issue, seniority rights that govern the movement of teachers. When we have a
situation where you put the rights and the privileges and priorities of adults
ahead of what`s in the best interest of kids then you know we have the system
that`s not going to produce the kind of results that we need to see. It`s just
 is not possible.
ROSE: Do you want to make some -- let`s take your union specifically  --
grand bargain with them? If so, what is the grand bargain?
RHEE: We`re actually still in negotiations, so I can`t talk about the
specifics of it. In general terms --
ROSE: You are prepared to say, I`m going to give you this if you give  me
this, because I think I need this in order to produce the kinds of schools
that
the mayor`s demanding of me.
RHEE: That`s right. What I`ll say in very broad terms is that we are
prepared to ensure that we have the most highly compensated and highly
effective
educator force in this country. And we believe that people should be recognized

and rewarded in a very dramatic way for producing significant gains in student
 achievement. And what we need to have is a system and a contract where the
best  interests of kids trump everything else. Trumps seniority. All of those
thing  are secondary to us believing that kids are actually going to benefit
from every  single decision they make.
ROSE: Then comes the question how do you determine that.
RHEE: Based it on student achievement.
ROSE: That`s the only thing you can do. In other words -- I don`t  know, I`m
asking. The only way you can test a teacher`s effectiveness is how  well those
kids are doing on test scores.
RHEE: No.
ROSE: That seems to be a principle difference between teachers unions  and
some administrators.
RHEE: I don`t think test scores are the only way.
ROSE: But by far the best.
RHEE: I think it`s the most consistent. I think it`s the most  objective. And
I think that it should have the greatest weight in looking at  teacher
effectiveness, absolutely.
ROSE: When they say that`s unfair to teachers to base it on test  scores?
RHEE: I would say it`s unfair to children to do anything but, because  when
you are basing, you know, the effectiveness of teachers on lots of softer
things, whether the kids feel good, whether the classroom is happy, whether
we`re
creative -- don`t get me wrong, those things are important. But if the  kids
can`t read and if only nine percent of them are at grade level or above,
that`s not acceptable. You might have a happy classroom. It`s not the classroom

we`re going to have in this district.
ROSE: Give me this other term you have, which is called value added.
RHEE: Yes.
ROSE: What does that mean?
RHEE: That means that you can`t just look at kids and say, if 100  percent of
your kids are not on grade level, then that means you have not done a  good
job. Because in our system, we have kids who are coming in, two, three,  four,
five grade levels below where they`re supposed to be. So you could have a
teacher who has seen dramatic gains, who is moving their kids two or three
years
in the span of one year. You have to basically measure the growth. And that`s
 what a value added model does.
ROSE: Are you optimistic.
RHEE: Very optimistic. I`m incredibly optimistic.
ROSE: Because you`ve seen what you can do in the classroom if you  have some
of the circumstances that are necessary?
RHEE: That`s right. I believe that in Washington, DC today, we have a  once
in a lifetime opportunity. You don`t meet a mayor like Adrian Fenty every  day,
maybe, in fact, once in a lifetime. This man is unbelievable. He`s
relentless. He`s focused. He`s disciplined. He will not let anything stand in
the way
of progress in the schools. I never met anybody like him in my entire  life.
I`m certainly not a politician.
So we`ve got the leadership and we have a great union leader. This  man,
George Parker, he wants to do the right thing for kids. He wants to do the
right
thing for his teachers, and we believe that this contract that we put
together, it does exactly that.
ROSE: Does he believe that?
RHEE: Absolutely. I believe he does. He`s getting a whole lot of  pressure
from people. So he`s beginning to sort of wonder. But I believe in his  heart
he
absolutely believes that this is the right thing for kids and teachers.
ROSE: When you came into this job, for a long time, they were  demonstrating
outside your office.
RHEE: They still do, every Friday, yes.
ROSE: What`s that about?
RHEE: They don`t like me.
ROSE: Who doesn`t like you?
RHEE: There`s certainly a very loud and organized contingent of  people in
this city who really really dislike what I`m doing.
ROSE: Even though the test scores are up, even though it`s a  different
dynamic in the classroom.
RHEE: It doesn`t matter.
ROSE: What do they say to you?
RHEE: They say that I am cruel, that I am cold, that I am a dictator.  They
say that I`m not taking the community sort of voice into account as I`m  making
decisions. They say that I`m acting rationally, that I`m unfair,  inhumane.
ROSE: What do you say, not true, not true, not true? Or do you say,  it`s
necessary. If you want to make an omelet, you have to break an egg.
RHEE: I say that some people -- and some of those people included --  want me
to do the same things that have been done for years.
ROSE: A lot of people came into your job believing in reform,  believing in
change, said I`m going to do this. I`m going to try different ways.  I`m going
to change the dynamics.
RHEE: That`s right.
ROSE: And they all failed.
RHEE: Right. Not because --
ROSE: Good people.
RHEE: Good people, smart people, well meaning people, hard working.  That`s
why I said I believe we have a once in a lifetime opportunity, because  what
those people did not have that I have -- because there`s nothing special  about
Michelle Rhee, let me be clear about that. It is because I`m in this
situation with this mayor, who singularly is focused on education, with a
community
dynamic where people understand the need for significant change, with  a great
union president, with a ton of momentum.
So I happen to be sort of the fortunate person who is sitting in this  role
right now. All of my predecessors, just as an example, had to deal with  school
boards and the politics of a school board.
ROSE: You don`t have to do that.
RHEE: I never would have taken this job if it was a school board  structure.
This is a strong statement. I don`t believe that really significant  education
reform is possible with the school board structure. I don`t think it`s
possible.
ROSE: We`re in a political year.
RHEE: Yes.
ROSE: What ought to be the debate? Is this a national issue or not?  Is it
really a question of states and local communities.
RHEE: Absolutely not. It is a national issue that is not getting  national
play.
ROSE: What`s that? What makes it a national issue? What`s the  national play
it ought to have? What`s the question we ought to be arguing?
RHEE: The national issue, the way I frame it is this: public  education is
supposed to be the great equalizer in our country. It`s supposed to  be the
thing that ensures that it doesn`t matter if you`re black or white, rich  or
poor.
We have public schools so that every child in this country can have an  equal
shot in life. If you work hard, you do the right thing, you can live the
American dream. That is not the reality that we have in most of our urban
school
districts today. The reality here in Washington, DC is, if you live in
Georgetown versus if you live in Anacostia, you get two wildly different
educational experiences. That`s the biggest social injustice imaginable,
because  it
basically says that we`re allowing the color of a child`s skin, and the zip
code that they live in to dictate their educational attainment levels and their

life chances and their life outcome.
That is counter to what this country is supposed to be, the land of  equal
opportunity. We`re not making our good our promise to the children of this
nation. That should be the number one priority. In my mind, that should be the
only thing that we`re talking about in these presidential debates. How are we
going to ensure we`re giving every single kid an equal shot in life. The fact
that it`s almost absent from all of these political debates -- and we get into
 this jargon about whether NCLB is good or not --
ROSE: No Child Left Behind. You think it is good and you think it  still
needs to be changed and made better.
RHEE: Absolutely. It`s an accountability structure.
ROSE: That`s what you liked about it.
RHEE: Absolutely, 100 percent. I`m held accountable. Our principals  are held
accountable. Every single school in this country, because you can`t  just
have high achievement levels, period. You have to have no achievement gap.
Those
things are incredibly important.
ROSE: How would you revise it?
RHEE: There are some tweaks I would make for sure. For example, one  piece of
No Child Left Behind calls for highly qualified teachers. But those
qualifications are sort of front end qualifications. Does a person have this,
you
know, certificate or this degree. And I believe we have to move away from  the
front end inputs, to looking at highly effective teachers. If you can  produce
results in the classroom, that makes you effective and you can stay in  the
classroom. And it really shouldn`t matter on whether or not you have your  PHD
or
your Masters.
ROSE: We know what you did between 2007 and 2008, what do you think  you can
do between 2008 and 2009?
RHEE: I know we can institute the most radical and reform minded  teachers
union contract in this country. We can finally begin to recognize and  reward
our most effective teachers, and that we can actually begin to shift the
dynamic in this city, and eventually in the country, of who should go into
teaching. When we`re able to offer people the types of salaries that we`re
talking
about offering them, then it`s going to just attract different, you know  -- a
different caliber of people in the profession.
ROSE: Wendy Kopp, the people she recruits, some of the people who  surround
you.
RHEE: That`s right. The kind of people that Teach for America  recruits,
absolutely.
ROSE: You believe you can do it?
RHEE: A hundred percent. I like to say to my staff, you know, if I  can`t --
if I can`t make 121 schools better for 50,000 kids, then my game is  weak and
I should go home.
ROSE: That`s your own sense of accountability.
RHEE: That`s my own sense of accountability, absolutely. I believe  this is
absolutely possible. I have tremendous confidence in that.
ROSE: You same to be saying, I`m not for the abolition of teachers  unions.
That`s what you seem to be saying.
RHEE: Absolutely not.
ROSE: You seem to be saying, give me a teachers union like the one I  have
here, tough, hard nosed, negotiating for their members.
RHEE: For their members, for sure.
ROSE: But we`ll give each other something that will make our lives  better
and our challenge achievable.
RHEE: That`s right. The dynamic that George Park and I have created  here in
DC, he fights me tooth and nail. We negotiate and we sweat it out and  sort of
go through. And he always has to be looking out for the best interests  of
his members, which he does very well, which is why in our system, the system
that we`re sort of putting together right now, people have choice. I happen to
believe that the teachers are going to make the choice, that they have to give
 up some of these rights, but that they see the upside benefit. They know
they  can get there. They know what the ramifications are on the positive side
for the  kids and they`re going to choose to do that.
ROSE: If they do well, they`ll be rewarded.
RHEE: Absolutely, like they`ve never been rewarded before.
ROSE: Thank you for your time.
RHEE: Absolutely, my pleasure.
ROSE: Thank you for joining us, part of our continuing series on  education.