Hi Sandpiper -
The boardwalk, which was not replaced when the boardwalk south of
7th Ave was replaced for these reasons, will be ripped out. Visitors
and seniors, residents, will have to traverse the nature walk. This
will not be easy for anyone with balance issues, since the sand
under the boards will probably be shifting with weather influences.
Also seniors using walkers or wheelchairs will probably have a
challenge. Despite the 26-story Tower dedicated to 62 and over
housing, these seniors have been and continue to be marginalized. A
few tea dances and oldies shows and the council ensures 400+ votes
every year.
Meanwhile, many residents of Asbury Tower love their boardwalk and
miss their senior center, closed down shortly after Asbury Partners
bought its site, the First Ave. pavilion. Why? Were they going to
allow seniors to have waterfront views? I think the answer speaks
for itself in the boardwalk caper unfolding now.
As for the 80 feet, please listen to Roger Krause in the public
portion. You are right. Why else would they need the DEP to grant
variances to allow them to encroach onto Green Acres space?
Hey, thanks for reading the blog!
Maureen

 In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "sandpiper15" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "radio881gal" <restore881FM@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sandpiper -
> > That's not a boardwalk.
> > It's the dune nature walk that will lie in the sand, unless that
> design
> > has been changed. I came in late. But my last info was that it
> would
> > lie in the sand and of course help to obscure the public from
the
> > townhouse residents.
>
> Thanks. I only called it a boardwalk because that's what it is
> labeled in that rendering on your site.
>
> But now I am wondering what happened to the actual boardwalk. That
> rendering makes it seem like the townhouses will abut the dunes.
I'm
> looking at a Google satellite map of the neighborhood now and the
> boardwalk runs straight until the end that is parallel to Deal
Lake
> Drive. There's about 80 feet or so of green space between Ocean
> Avenue and the boardwalk. Are they squeezing these townhouses into
> that 80 foot green space? Or are they just getting rid of the
> boardwalk completely?
>
> (Thanks again for posting these meetings. They're very
enlightening.)