--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, let's be realistic.
> In order to create a vacant lot, wouldn't you first have to move
all the people out?
> If you could do that, couldn't you also repopulate with more
responsible people?
> Wouldn't that also mean enforcing management that doesn't tolerate
illegal activity?
> I live right around the corner from that building. If properly
taken care of, it wouldn't be
> so bad. It's run down currently, but a bit of TLC could make it
into something nice.
> Wouldn't that be better then an empty lot?
> I'd rather see viable housing then a vacant lot. The vacant lots
are kinda depressing.

Its just not reasonable that a developer would be willing to spend so
much money to rehabilitate such a large and run down structure... I
would imagine the rooms are small and the layout is outdated.  In
most cases like this, its cheaper to knock it down and start from
scratch.

If you clear all of the people out, and rehabilitate it, and still
sell it as affordable housing, the developer loses money, so why take
on the project in the first place... the only way a rehab would work
is if the rents are increased and the rooms turned into expensive
units... and I cant imagine the building is suited for that.
Elevators, corridor widths, ceiling heights, plumbing, electrical,
fire protection, among countless other things would need to be
replaced and retrofitted to meet codes and standards of luxury... it
just wouldnt make sense to rehab this structure...

So the choice really comes down to either leaving the building as use
as a walk up street pharmacy or demolish it to improve the value and
quality of life for properties surrounding it.