"One is charismatic, plays to packed stadiums and wants to change the
world. The other is Bono. Now a group of U2 fans, struck by the
parallels between Barack Obama and the Irish rock star, have become
one of the U.S. Democratic presidential nominee's most enthusiastic
band of supporters.

http://tinyurl.com/4w79d4

U2 fans for Obama, a collection of 103 U2 devotees, has raised almost
$18,000 (EU12,200) for the presidential hopeful's campaign and
organised more than 600 events to date.

The group, whose website and blog are linked to the presidential
candidate's official homepage, believe that "since Bono can't run for
U.S. president, Obama is the next best thing". Their blog declares
that members "see in Obama a progressive Christian who embodies the
ideas and sentiments...so compelling in U2's music."

The politician is already an avowed fan of the band, recently telling
Rolling Stone magazine that U2 is on his iPod playlist. Bono attended
the Democratic convention in Denver last week where he heard two U2
tracks, "City of Blinding Lights" and "Beautiful Day," bookend
Obama's acceptance speech early on Friday. "Beautiful Day" was also
the musical backdrop a night earlier when Obama introduced Senator
Joe Biden, his nominee for vice-president, to the Denver crowd.

The U2 fans now rank as the 10th most active group on Obama's
collection of small local fundraisers, modelled on a social
networking site. Obama's website, my.barack obama.com, was developed
by Chris Hughes, a co-founder of Facebook. It has more than 1m users
and hundreds of diverse social networking groups, including Women for
Obama, Veterans for Obama and Environmentalists for Obama."