In a message dated 10/21/2008 11:05:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Thanks  for posting these links, Mario.  I'm probably going to get my neck
cut, but I've been struggling with this whole notion that the mortgages caused
this thing, since it was the investment banks that started falling before the
 commercial lenders did.

You're Welcome, Maureen.
Looks like you have lots of company with your struggling: the entire global
financial system and their "experts."

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Finally,...I'd like to know what you thought of the Paul Solman report  with
the two academics -- was one of them
Mendelbot? The younger one who  wrote the book on Black Swans railed against
VaR, or Value at Risk. Do you  think there's any truth in their gloomy fears
of an even more dire domino  effect yet to come?      Thanks for listening to
my  rant...Responses?

The general consensus from what I've learned over the past few months is
that their gloomy fears are based on all the slicing, dicing, and "derivatives"

which will make it extremely difficult to cut out all the toxic elements in
the  system.

The Paul Solman segment about "The Black Swan" is not up yet but will be
soon here:  http://tinyurl.com/2baml

Nicholas's Swan book is #1 in a number of categories at Amazon and gets
highly favorable reviews from 342 readers:  http://tinyurl.com/39toet

Less scary, but still pessimistic is Nouriel Roubini.  Known as Dr.  Doom
because of his predictions from a few years back.  Seems like he was  right all
along, and now he's a ubiquitous talking head on TV.

More on him and his views from August of this year:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/magazine/17pessimist-t.html?pagewanted=all

And some of his interviews:    http://tinyurl.com/6jpe58

(Hoping this comes through Pete's obstacle course rearranging text and
paragraphing....)