In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks,  Mario, for the additional details on the Black Swan book.
That was for those  unfamiliar with the book and who might have misapply the
allusion.
> But  you didn't tell me if you agree with Taleb's current prediction. That
was my  question.

I have no problem saying, "I don't know." But it seems to be a matter  of
"Which gloomy predictions?"

If one wanted to "cherry pick," looking for some good news, there's
Financial Times' Martin Wolf:
Hope in G7 cooperation re re-capitalization  rather than just buying up toxic
assets; global cuts in interest rates; U.S.  exports up; U.S. banking system
only 2 x GDP, relatively low; and "In the end,  economies always recover."

Other economists point to renewed global faith in U.S. treasury,  solvency,
dollar, and tools in place now which weren't in 1929.

> How's this suggestion for fiscal stimulus: Why don't the  government
wizards remove income limits on how much people can earn in addition  to their
social security?

Also this:

"At a hearing on Thursday in the Senate Banking Committee, Sheila Bair, the
chairwoman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, confirmed that the
F.D.I.C. is working with the Treasury to streamline the reworking of troubled
mortgages. The aim is to make the loans affordable over the long term so that
borrowers can avoid foreclosure and keep their homes.
"Though details of the  plan are not yet worked out, the outline calls for
creating standardized  criteria that would be used by mortgage servicers, the
firms that handle  collection and foreclosure proceedings for lenders and
mortgage investors. Loans  modified under the criteria would be eligible for a
federal guarantee that would  protect lenders and investors against default.
"If the criteria are well  established, defaults on the modified loans should
not be a big  problem...."

_http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/opinion/26sun1.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/opinion/26sun1.html)

Just a layman here, trying to figure it all out like all the  “experts.”
Greenspan didn’t help last week with his choice of words:   “once-in-a-century
credit tsunami.”