In a message dated 11/9/2008 10:17:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Told  everyone Mario won't address the issue.

=================================

Arguing for the sake of arguing.

For newbees, try these sites which picked up the stories from the AP Press
and the Coaster:

>From 2006 >>>>    http://www.bluecorncomics.com/stype6a7.htm

And from 2008 >>>   http://www.kisikew.org/forum/topic124.html

I found Councilman Keady's position reasonable, coming from what I perceive
to be his world view: in this case, sensitive to Native/Indigenous  Americans
and "the Boy Scouts — members of the Na-Tsi-Hi Lodge 71 from the  Oakhurst
section of Ocean Township — [who] would not dress up as American  Indians,
greet
Columbus and perform tribal dances, as troop members have done in  past years.

I also found Councilman Loffredo's statements reasonable: "That being said,
what Columbus did in getting into a small boat and going across the Atlantic
Ocean was more adventurous than going to the moon. In the 1400s, he was a
product of his times."

Icons and Iconoclasts -- both useful in jogging our thinking.

Brings to mind the hot-button issue of flying the Confederate flag from the
Capitols in some southern states. Symbols are useful when we all agree on
their  meaning.  Divisive when we don't.

Focusing on hot-button issues, in the short term, is unproductive except  for
demagogues.

For me, if I need affirmation for my ethnic heritage, there are numerous  web
sites out there with lists of unassailable famous Italian-Americans.   Wiki
has one.

But when I want to feel really proud, I need only recall my immigrant  father
and first generation mother, both unschooled, but both open to America's
diversity.  My mother's harshest criticism was reserved for those among her
immigrant in-laws who remained provincial and whom she referred to as
"greenhorns."

Both worked until they reached 65.  Then both enjoyed 25 additional  years in
retirement, living on their small nest egg, (FDR's) Social  Security, private
hospitalization and LBJ's Medicare.

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)