Yeah, but unless you are a history buff, or a local, how many people would
actually take
the time to visit just for the Morro Castle?
The Hindenburgh disaster happened at Lakehurst, and people rarely visit the
memorial
there. I'm not sure if the airbase has been closed to the public since 9/11,
but before that,
when it was open, I made a visit once. The person at the visitors center said
that maybe a
few 100 people visit every year, with less as the years go by.
If I had my say, I'd steer our boardwalk area to be focused on music and
entertainment.
Those are proven attractions, and if the price is right, they are usually
recession proof.
Austin TX thrives because of it's music and entertainment scene.
Memphis has Beele street.
Nashville is all about music tourism.
NYC packs people into their theaters and concert halls, and below that there's
a myriad of
places that carry on the tradition of CBGBs etc.
AP once had that kind of draw, but the venues are disappearing, and the
boardwalk has
been made into a high end retail location that I predict will fail big time
this winter.
If AP had a rock and roll museum that highlighted Bruce and the others who are
tied to our
city, people would come from all over the US, Europe and the world to check it
out.
But, my thoughts on this are a complete waste, because it's just not going to
happen,
because our city doesn't recognize what it let slip thru it's fingers.