Jennifer:

You are correct!

Since the city holds nonpartisan elections, the seating City Council members
will accept applications to fill the position Jim is leaving.  They will
then select a replacement, who will have to run for a full term (if they so
choose) in the next city election.

If we held partisan elections it would play out a little different with the
Council still making the final selection.

Michael

Michael W.  Brim

321 Sunset Avenue, Unit 5F

Asbury Park NJ 07712-5550