-

from my world, yes it's interesting that they are profitable. I can
think of then thousand websites that are proftable for one reason or
another.

The TCN can, as an added "benefit" to their print, add more of web
presence. Simply without impacting their print. But that's their call.
The Coaster does it fairly simply without going full steam.

The big publisher got lost in trying to make their web presence as
profitable as their dying print pubs were or are. The reason - for
generic news - the Internet is a simple means of getting the info and
costs to print and distribute are nuts.

I believe Wired, as an exmaple, has done well - both net and print. I
think - I forgot what I read. During the first web craze many publs
overspent (thank god) to go online and buy other web properties out of
fear they were going to be left behind. Think Myspace. Waste.

They survive on ads. T3 is more interesting to read for the ads. Well
done and times, the bits of gossip. Could it be done on a blog? Sure.
But would the ads be so interesting.

Some more discussions in the web world include web site redesign (if
it working, why fix it.

The classic example of a site that "looks old" - craigslist.com

Why does it work? But more importantly  - the value of the site....

I can look at rentlaw.com (self published, top ranked and profitable)
published on a laptop any hour of the night and no staff, no
advertising dept (unless I change my voice)...

Some websites have a different problem - going from online only to
print - and trying to make a profit.

Time to go put out a press release. One good thing - no cutoff dates,
no dependency on employees or distribution, world wide audience
outside monmouth county...the Internet.

And if you feel like publishing from London or SOuth Beach or Tokyo
you can.

The Internet.