David,

Well, where IS the consumer retention of marketing efforts? Who IS keeping
tracking of how repeat business occurs? What IS the amount of time between when
a first-time visitor comes to AP b/c of a promo push and returns of his own
volition because s/he wants to experience something else (or repeat the
pleasant
experience had the first time)? Where IS that data?

LaPlaca came TO AP from Point and started out modestly and hopefully enough in
the Woolworth incbuator. So did Organic Style, to name another business in
there. She's now on Cookman.

LaPlaca moved TO the Boardwalk. Now it's back in Point where it started.

No one wanted to cooperatively work together so LaPlaca could stay and an empty
storefront could be filled.

Terrible way of doing business.

Now, on to the incubator. It's troublesome that you cast it as "true" only if
it
has a government subsidy.

It does not one.

In the free market you can still have an incubator. If a start-up business
grows
and is successful and wants to move to more a more visible location w/ maybe
more square footage, it does.

Zebu in Red Bank started out in this hole-in-the-wall location by the Red Bank
train station. Great coffee and baked goods for people on the go. It wanted to
expand and believed it could take the interest of commuters with them to a
downtown location. It moved to Broad Street.

It started small. Was successful. Went big. No government subsidies.

Ditto, Organic Style.

Ditto the Harrison. It, too, started out in a small location on 5th Avenue,
attracted a following and moved to Cookman.

Ditto Viva's [Bistro Ole's start-up name before it MOVED from the same 5th
Avenue location to Main and Mattison]

Ditto, Clementine's which moved to Belmar.

That narrow footprint on 5th between Main and Steiner Avenue is now home to
Layla's.

That address is an incubator.

No government subsidies.

But at the same time, NO promotion by the business community looking to attract
other business here.

The downsize to free-market capitalism is that is sometimes behaves like a
free-for-all  ~ until you lose your shirt (double entendre intended).
Helen