because Sternlicht, a chief executive of iStar's former parent, Starwood,
recently said he felt the rebirth in the NY commercial property market is an
anomaly true to only the NYC market.
   I'll throw this out as possibility: Under the contract with the city, the
WRA, iStar has to complete the infrastructure. Since its legal counsel
mentioned it in court, with an eye toward dropping that commitment, because the
next plan looks like it will call for less density, I think that's something
iStar wants to shake.
    #2 commitment is that iStar has to make regular, sizable payments on the
debt the council committed the City to in order to provide Asbury Partners with
cash to upgrade the sewer plant, and perhaps even the boardwalk replacement. So
even if iStar let the City take back the redevelopment rights it would still
owe these obligations.
   So I would venture that iStar isn't going to fight too hard to hang onto the
rights and might cut a deal that would leave the city its redevelopment rights
again, but also with the unfinished infrastructure and the bond debt. The City
would be crazy to make that deal BTW. But the City has to be careful that in
severing its ties to the master developer, it doesn't free it from these
commitments.
Thoughts?
Maureen http://www.asburyradio.com