And stay in well lit, busy areas! More cars and people the better. Walk as
little as possible in residential areas, and always try to walk in front of a
business if there is a choice. When I was at NYU (early 90s), kids always got
mugged trying to cut through on 10th street (residential). If you took a longer
route that kept you on Broadway and in front of businesses and you were OK.
Walk on Ocean or the BW after dark, cross in front of the Berk Hotel, cross
Kingsley, stay in front of Adriatic, etc. If you see something suspicious,
change direction and go into the business. No where the little hotels are, the
B&B's... If you have to stay residential. Look up the block before you go see
who is there, have one key in hand in pocket. And if you need to borrow my dog,
let me know. he scares the crap out of most people.