Nack in the late 90's there was "chatter" on the 'net about
the "shadow government".  The one that really runs the country.

There's evidence to back that statement up, before 9-11.
With 9-11, the government chopped away ar 1st Amendment rights,
in ways as Americans, we are not used to.  The Russians ARE and WERE
meting out swift justice, by shooting you point blank.  I said we
weren't used to such treatment, but now with surveillance everywhere
we've virtually given up the right to privacy and the right to be
left alone.  I keep  a coin "stash".  A leftover from childhood.