Just so happens I am involved in an eminent domain case where NYC DOT took part
of the artificial turf practice field (only 60 yards) of a catholic HS in the
Bronx. The fixture appraisal for the field (once you touch one part of it is
all gone because it is designed as a single system with drainage etc) estimates
(2007) a reproduction cost of around $2M. Now every site is different, that
means delivery of goods, the soils, etc. and impacts how much excavation and
fill is needed. Drainage etc is extremely important to artificial turf fields.
Leaps in design and construction have taken place since the one I played on in
HS at Hofstra. It was like someone's carpet in the living room. You could hear
the footsteps. I'd rather fall on concrete than that old stuff.

So the right thing to do is hire someone to get it done right for the right
price.