--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "arcman210" <acme87rangers@...> wrote:

> As many have said, Wesley Grove's biggest flaw is the lack of retail on
> Cookman.  Sounds like this problem has been realized and will be addressed
> come time to start building again.  I would safely assume at the time it was
> designed, they didn't feel they would be able to lease enough retail to fill
> out a block, so they designed without it.  Much of Cookman (and the
> boardwalk) was still vacant at the time and it wouldn't have made sense for
> them to build retail they couldn't lease.  They did place one small retail
> bay at the corner of Cookman and Heck.

Which is why I was adamant on the waterfront redevelopment advisory committee
to have a mandatory requirement of a minimum percentage of frontage on Cookman
as retail. All wanted pedestrians to be drawn along Cookman to betwixt Downtown
and the BW but the mandatory requirement was being fought. Eventually I was
able to make the committee see (thanks to Terry) that the only way to ensure
some retail on Cookman was to make it mandatory.