MARTY Guy wrote:

> Great news! But, is there any tools that ca do the reverse
translation from
> ASN.1 modules to XML Schemas?

-IMHO

(as they write in English)

I have not checked the status of XML schema the last 24 months.
When I left the XML schema discussion Microsoft was trying to "order
chaos"
in their way while W3C was trying to unite various variants.

>From both "camps" one of the "prerequisites" (as they say in English)
- if not the most important prerequisite - was that the XML schema
was itself written in XML 1.0. Hurray - the existing XML editors
could fold and unfold the various XML schema variants.

This idea - that the protocol description should be in the language
of the actual messages on the line - I find this idea fundamentally
wrong.

The demands for a "proto" (or maybe the English would say "generic")
protocol description are different: Intuitive, simple for simple
examples, detailable to any depth the specifiers might wish
(this means rich in ways of expression - in the language sense)
and so on.

I found then that ASN.1 comes closer to these goals. That even if
all XML schema editors went together in one effort they would not
come up with something useful because they started off the wrong
place.

I am not say that ASN.1 is the holy grale. Maybe some white-beards
can come up with something more "generic" like a modified
Bachus-Naur notation or the like.

So where does all this lead ?

In short: To cross-compile from ASN.1 to XML schema would require

 1. Agreement on which XML schema version to end with
 2. Extensions to XML schema to cater for the depth that ASN.1 has
    reached over the years - And this will be my final remark for
    now: This depth of ASN.1 could be what blocks a new generation
    of IT people to adopt. Keep the oddities but let newcomers have
    a go with a "recommended" subset - f.ex. one that would be enough
    to specify all-round XML protocols.

Regards

Steen Oluf Karlsen
Soholtvej 6