Hi karthik,

Here are the few tips to write a generic parser.

Most of the CDRs genereted by MSCs are use Context
Specific tag class.These tags are unique within the
module but in within the specification.That means
within the same specification itself, the same tag can
occur in different modules.

Most of the CDRs tags are encoded in single
byte.Length of the cdr is encoded in two bytes in most
of the call types.

Length value for the indefinite lenght cdrs is 0x80
and the indefinite length can be identified using End
of Content (i.e. 0x00 0x00).when u write parser, make
sure the the byte next to EOC is a tag.

MSC cdr specifications are depends on operators.Its
not the same for all operator.So it is better to check
with the operator for CDR specification.

TAP 3 uses Application tag class.In applciation tag,
tags are unique within the specification.

In tap3. some of the tags are encoded in two bytes and
length as well.Indefinite length record is very much
possible in TAP 3.Mostly it'll occur for Mobile
Originating call and Mobile Terminating call.

You can download all the TAP 3 specifications from
www.gsmworld.com

About filler,
Almost in all cases filler will be 0x00.Most of the
MSCs uses block structure of 2048 bytes.

You need give more attention while parsing indefinite
length cdrs.Example for indefinite length cdr
generetad by MSC is CompositeCallDataRecord(is nothing
but sequence of GSMCallDataRecord).

Hope this will help you in some way.

K B Devaraj
Intec Telecom Systems.

--- Karthikeyan Ramnath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>