Hi,

    I have some queries regarding the XMLValue notation in an XMLValueAssignment. The XML Single Tag is used in XMLTypedValue. The cases where the XML Single Tag is used to represents value are not to be considered. For e.g. the following is very much valid in ASN.1 (2002) -

null-value ::= <NULL/>

    But is usage of a similar notation for say sequence value permitted?

Sequence ::= SEQUENCE
{
    a    INTEGER { zero(0), two(2), four(4), six(6), eight(8) },
    c    NumericString OPTIONAL
}

seq-val ::=
<Sequence>
    <c/>
</Sequence>

    In my understanding the above is not permitted as such by the grammar of XMLSequenceValue as per X.680 (07/2002). But I find the same being supportedby some tools. In my understanding this is non-conformance to the 2002 standard, or an extension provided to the standard. I would like to have a conformation on the above. Is the above sequence value permitted as part of the 2002 standard? Thanking you.

Yours Sincerely
Ramaswamy R
Member Technical Staff
HCL Technologies Ltd
184 Arcot Road
Vadapalani
Chennai - 600026
Ph (Off) : 23728366 ext 2344

To deny our instincts, is to deny the very thing that makes us human - Mouse (The Matrix)