The answer to your question is in subclause 16.8:

16.8    If any part of the "XMLValue" production results in an XML start-tag
immediately followed by an XML end-tag, possible separated by white-space
inserted as permitted by 11.1.4 (for example, <field1></field1>), these two
XML tags, and any intervening white-space, can be replaced by a single XML
empty-element tag (<field1/>).

Regards,

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva