I also had the same problem. Someone said it was because mod_perl was not
compiled into the binaries. Suggested using a package found at links from
perl.apache.org with Apache 1.3 and Apache::ASP and mod_perl and... I didn't
want to do that, I like the installer and most important I don't like
premade packages. And I like Apache 2. At chilisoft I found the developer
version for free, but it doesn't work on '98. So, I went to PHP. Some weeks
later I'm *very* happy about that decision. But if you get results, please
tell me. Good luck!