Philip Mak wrote:
About 10 hours ago, my website started getting really slow. My MRTG
graph shows the server's bandwidth usage dropping to 1/4 of its
previous amount:

http://lina.aaanime.net/~pmak/dropoff.png

When I got on the server, the load average was above 7. The shell
prompt response time was very slow, the webpages took forever to load,
but the CPU was over 90% idle, the swap used was less than the
physical memory free, and the si/so/bi/bo values in "vmstat 1" were
mostly 0.

I couldn't figure out why it was lagging so badly. Then on a whim, I
tried "rm -rf" on the StateDir. An empty StateDir was re-created by
Apache::ASP, and then the lag problems mysteriously evaporated.

Any ideas on how I can prevent this problem from reoccurring? (Damn, I
should have saved the StateDir for further analysis instead of
deleting it.)

I have never seen this before. My advice would be to write a program to monitor your system load & send you an alert when its over a certain value. I would use the 5 minute load value & not 1 minute as 1 minute can be fairly volatile.

Yes, next time, please save the StateDir for possibly reproducing this.
It may have been something like your site getting slammed by a bot/spider,
and then the StateDir having to cleanup all the garbage sessions &/or
deal with really huge internal databases tracking timeouts & such.
Maybe it was some quirk to do with SDBM_File used for the internal
database that is used with the session manager. I am not sure we will
ever know now.

Regards,

Josh