Stuart Johnston wrote:

Try setting this at the top of your script:

$TempFile::TMPDIRECTORY='/target/location';

What is $TempFile? Do you mean something under $Request->{FileUpload}? Perhaps $Request->{FileUpload}{file}->{TempFile}?

There is a mod_perl module you might find helpful:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=UploadMeter&mode=module

Hmmm...too many server configuration requirements. I need to do this on multiple servers that are already set up.

Also, we use a java applet for upload which give a progress meter as well as some other features:

http://jupload.biz/

Interesting, but its focus on multiple file uploads makes it suboptimal for our simple needs.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on your other question.

That third one is the killer. If I can't get past the 2GB limit, it doesn't matter how easy or efficient the solution is.

I think what I'm going to do is step outside HTTP/ASP altogether. I've got this hammer, so all my problems are looking like nails. HTTP is primarily a file download protocol; I'm swimming against the stream to use this protocol for uploads. I think I'll write a native program that will use a more appropriate protocol to upload the file. This won't be onerous for our purposes.