Warren Young wrote:

What code is to blame here?

Just to follow up, the source of this limit appears to be with Perl itself. Perl won't use 64-bit ints unless it is compiled to do so, even if the platform will support 64-bit ints. Since CGI.pm uses a scalar to hold the expected length of the file, the number looks negative when it's over 2**31-1. CGI.pm has a check in it for this, and it dies when the file length is "negative".

I could recompile Perl, but this would apparently break the ABI, so I'd have to rebuild all my CPAN modules (and more?) as well. Ugh.

Thanks to all who helped. I don't have a solution yet, but I do at least know where solutions may be had, and where to stop looking.