Or, if you're running a sufficiently recent version of perl, you can use

open HANDLE, '>', \$somevar;
#call xSV here
close HANDLE;

$Response->Write($somevar);

Bascially, you open a handle to an in-memory variable to write to. This
saves having to use a temp file.  I know 5.8.0 supports this. Not sure
if it's in any of the 5.6.X versions.

--Jim