From: Warren Young [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:20 PM
To: Apache-ASP List
Subject: Re: Apache::ASP Installation Issue

Randy wrote:

> In the browser, I get the asp script.

That means Apache::ASP isn't even being called for the page, which is an
Apache configuration problem, not a problem with Apache::ASP.  (Problems
with Apache::ASP or the ASP pages themselves show up as complaints in
error_log.)

In all of what you posted about your httpd.conf contents, I don't see
that you've actually configured Apache to use Apache::ASP.  This is from
the top of the configuration section of the manual:

PerlModule Apache::ASP
<Files ~ (\.asp)>
    SetHandler  perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::ASP
    PerlSetVar  Global .
    PerlSetVar  StateDir /tmp/asp
</Files>

I posted something much like it in my initial reply to you.  It applies
just as well on Windows as on Linux.  Apache is Apache.

> I don't seem to have a global.asa file anywhere on the server.

I don't know that Apache::ASP fails to work without it, but you do want
it.  Here's the default one:

        http://apache-asp.org/eg/global.asa

Search for global.asa on apache-asp.org for more on what it does.

Also see the documentation for the Global configuration option to see
how to change where global.asa lives:

        http://apache-asp.org/config.html#Global

In the snippet above, it appears it's telling Apache::ASP to look in the
same directory as your .asp files, which may not be a good thing if you
want the contents of your global.asa to be secret.  You can use the
Global directive to put global.asa outside the document tree, so Apache
won't serve it.  Alternately, you can configure Apache to never serve *.asa.

>       <Directory "D:\Xxxxxxx\xxxxxx">

Are you sure this section actually works?  From the Apache platform
notes for Windows:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/windows.html

It's in the manual: http://apache-asp.org/config.html#StateDir

> By "the httpd user" to whom do you refer?

The user that Apache runs under.  It might not be your user account.  If
you run it as a Windows service, by default, it runs as the SYSTEM user.