C'da,

The truth of the matter is that India is just too insecure, too weak a state, and too autocratic in its nature--actually FEUDAL is the right terminology, to accept what ought to be a cornerstone of a truly DEMOCRATIC federal republic, like the one India PROMISED to be, but reneged on. India is terrified ( rightly perhaps), that it would soon fall apart, once Kashmir or the NE go. But if that is the truth about India's pretensions to nationhood, it probably does NOT deserve to remain together.

For arguments sake, if this is the gospel, then can you tell me if you are the GOI, what logical reason would make you opt for a plebicite? Why on earth would the GOI, holding all the aces, even encourage one? ( Even if think that India should NOT remain together for all moral reasons).

Give me some good logical reasons, and I too will wave the plebicite flag.

 On the other hand, the chances are very good, that the realities of survival and the historical cultural/economic/religious connections would force them to live peacefully, in interdependence, but as sovereign entities, being responsible for their own well-being.

And you would assume that this BIG BAD GOI is just going to lie down and take it all in. The practical side to all this the GOI (whether you think its good or bad) will never get itself duped into a plebicite deal. Autonomy maybe, but plebicite/independence the GOI will never give into.

Now, given that scenario, people interested in some earth-shattering event, have a few options:

(a) keep fighting for independence
(b) see if the GOI will go for a plebicite
(c) fight for more state rights/autonomy.
(d) keep the status quo and try to develop Assam

Can you guess which of these has a better chance of success and why? Emotions, unfortunately cannot play a hand in this kind of decision-making.

--Ram

On 1/9/06, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ram:

>That would be the easy part (thinking about it) - but the tougher part would to >hold one at all. Whether its Kashmir or Assam, it is next to impossible to hold >one.

*** That is a profoundly lame argument. I am surprised you would make it.

The truth of the matter is that India is just too insecure, too weak a state, and too autocratic in its nature--actually FEUDAL is the right terminology, to accept what ought to be a cornerstone of a truly DEMOCRATIC federal republic, like the one India PROMISED to be, but reneged on. India is terrified ( rightly perhaps), that it would soon fall apart, once Kashmir or the NE go. But if that is the truth about India's pretensions to nationhood, it probably does NOT deserve to remain together. On the other hand, the chances are very good, that the realities of survival and the historical cultural/economic/religious connections would force them to live peacefully, in interdependence, but as sovereign entities, being responsible for their own well-being.

*** It is the intelligentsia, one that never cease to froth in the mouth about democratic ideals and freedom of choices, who would NOT let the same freedom of choices to those who they consider unable to decide for themselves.

>Whichever side looses, they are going to claim there was widespread >intimidation etc, etc. Yes, one could say - get those international observers >(Jimmy Carter) to observe. But that is very unlikely. India will never submit >to that (claiming sovereignty issues).

*** And that is an acceptable proposition for you Ram? Where would YOU stand on the issue, when it comes to making that choice? Can YOU accept that? If not, what is YOUR excuse?

> Add to the equation, that many feel that Assam is filled up with illegal >Bangladeshis (and maybe even ISI agents).

*** And Kashmir with Pakistanis -- you forgot to add Ram. And thus the self-fulfilling prophecy reigns.

>About a plebicite being bloodless - I seriously doubt if that will be be the >turn of events.

*** And the better option therefore is for the far mightier force to slaughter the rag-tag group of militants seeking to affirm their sovereignty, as fair and objective partisans  like yourself  would support. Isn't that the truth here Ram?

>A nation can be mature only as much as its population will allow it. Don't you >think?

*** As if it matters what the PEOPLE want. Heck if the people mattered in desi demokrasy, it would have been resolved long ago.

At 6:15 PM -0600 1/9/06, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
Hi there Utpal,

No, I don't think I am right all the time -and am sure others think likewise.

>There is easy way to find out. Hold a plesbicite under a free neutral environment and avoid all >bloodshed.

That would be the easy part (thinking about it) - but the tougher part would to hold one at all. Whether its Kashmir or Assam, it is next to impossible to hold one.

Why do I say this: Whichever side looses, they are going to claim there was widespread intimidation etc, etc. Yes, one could say - get those international observers (Jimmy Carter) to observe. But that is very unlikely. India will never submit to that (claiming sovereignty issues).

Add to the equation, that many feel that Assam is filled up with illegal Bangladeshis (and maybe even ISI agents). The question that comes to mind is, if thats the situation (like Pakistanis in Kashmir), why would we ever want to go for a plebicite of a population that would want to merge with B'desh or Pakistan?

About a plebicite being bloodless - I seriously doubt if that will be be the turn of events.

>I hope someday the nation called India will be matured enough to incorporate the "instrument of >seccession"  in the constitution.

A nation can be mature only as much as its population will allow it. Don't you think?

--Ram da

Chandan da thinks he is right. So does Rajen da or Ram da or Mike da or my self. May be we all are right or may be not. It does not matter what I or you feel (the elites of Assam) , what really matters is what the people of Assam feel. May be most of the people in Assam want seperation from India or may be they don't.

There is easy way to find out. Hold a plesbicite under a free neutral environment and avoid all bloodshed.

But somehow I think the present form of GOI does not have the moral courage to face the free and fair ballot that  would decide the fate of Assam or NE for that matter. Also the question is whether pro-independence groups of NE have the moral courage face the same.

I hope someday the nation called India will be matured enough to incorporate the "instrument of seccession"  in the constitution.

Utpal Brahma