Due to huge influx of Hindi-speaking people, due to tens of 24/7 Hindi
TV channels, radio stations, slowly Assam is being Hindi-ized. Is that
not also slow disappearance of Assamese? Why is there not a 24/7 TV
channel in Assamese yet? Why NE-TV, which is the only cable channel
 from Assam goes around the streets of Guwahati with Assamese hosts
interviewing Assamese people on the streets of Guwahati in Hindi? It
shows where things are going. If Hindi's expansion is not controlled,
it will spell the deathknell for Assamese. Why are new FM channels in
Guwahati mostly exclusively in Hindi? These are signs of how things are
going, how thing are going to happen in the future.

Himen da is concerned only about religion! Assamese is not a religion,
it's a language!

Bangladeshis came in huge numbers to Assam till the late 70s, possibly
the 80s.  Most of the so-called Bangladeshis came in Sadulla's time,
about a hundred years ago. The kids of these immigrants are going to
Assamese medium schools, learning Assamese, calling Assamese their
mother tongue. The problem with such people is that they have too many
children; the way to stop is to spread education among the women in
these communities.

However, the trend in the 90s, 00s is that Hindi is slowly taking over.
It's not that Bengali taking over Assamese electronic media, it's Hindi
taking over the electronic space of Assam completely. By electronic
space I mean cable TV and other emerging media. Those who have
foresight will see that such electronic media will inundate Assam in
the next 10-15-20-50 years. Instead of singing Hindi songs in Bihu
gatherings, Assamese children are/wil be dancing to Hindi movie tunes!
It will become fashionable for Assamese childeren, growing up in Assam
now, to be able to read and write Hindi and English, and not Assamese.
They will read Hindi and English newspapers and not Assamese. They will
get their news reports from Hindi and English newscasts and not
Assamese. They will start talking to each other in Hindi and English
and not Assamese. (I don't mind the English part that much, but I mind
the Hindi part. English will never replace Assamese or a local
vernacular, but Hindi has the potential to do tha!)

So, as I said I hope Himen da realizes Assamese is a language and not a
religion. My understanding of the situation is that the so-called
Bangladeshi immigrants and their progeny pose a threat to the dominance
of Hindu religion in Assam, but they don't pose a threat to Assamese
language as much as India and Assam's rapid Hindi-ization do. Because
people like Himenda are Hindu-religion sentimentalists, they see the
threat to Hindu relgion's dominance and say it's threat to the Assamese
language. I see it only partially that way. I see bigger threat to the
dominance of the Assamese language which makes us call ourselves
Assamese, is from India, not from Bangladesh.

Strictly from a languge point of view, due to our geographic location
Assamese speakers have to be wary of two languages: Bengali and Hindi,
both with huge populations. From the 1800s to about the 1950s,
Assamese, I believe was threatened by Bengali dominance in Assam.
Independence from the British threw out the dominance of the British as
well as the Bengali (who came with the British) from Assam. From the
1960s to the 1990s, I believe, Assamese was gaining its dominance in
Assam. But, starting the 1990s and 2000s, due to the proliferation of
electronic media, Hindi is starting to gain an upper hand. Right now,
Assamese speakers should be more wary of Hindi speakers than Bengali
speakers, but should be watching out both groups. Since Assam is part
of India now, Hindi has become the royal vernacular like Bengali was
when the British ruled India from Calcutta till the early 1900s. Hindi
is the royal language now, and Assamese is becoming the step-language
in Assam, being slowly replaced from public and electronic spheres by
Hindi. We must watch out for this Hindi-ization and thwart it and
prosper.

Jugal