After going through this thread, I tend to generally agree with what Barua has said. He is right, when he makes comparisons with a state like Rajasthan. No, we don't like it, but it is the truth.

Why is it that a state like Rajasthan is able to export $700 million worth handicrafts, while Assam has not? What holds Assam back?
If Assam cannot capitalize on a strong suit like handicrafts, how can we visualize a brand new industry/export? Why is Rajasthan different?

Bhuban da, your take on villagers or even poorer sections thinking about cattle for agriculture as opposed to some paved streets is correct, but the onus of developmental efforts has to be a top-down approach. The GOA, intelligentsia, the businesses, entrepreneurs all have to take the lead first.

There are, however, some positive trends. A few responsible citizens are now trying to take the lead in a number of areas, and against all odds - but glad to say, they are making good progress. There is some new thinking, and some are now seriously looking outside the box.

A great example is that of Shantikam Hazarika of AIMs. He has been ceaselessly trying to launch some projects in spite of so many difficulties along the way, to effect the changes in Assam that we all look forward to,. And there are now quite a few Hazarikas in Assam - that is what Assam needs.

--Ram