Dear Sir,

Before making allegations all the time against desi-demokrasy, centre, et. al,
please take time to consider how certain things work at ground level.

Centre gives money for projects against certain high level gurantees. Then its
upto the state to execute the same. Consider this - a road needs to be built
and a tender needs to be taken out. The STATE minister in charge already has
some interested parties in mind and has already made up his mind to give out
the contracts to his preffered candidates only. Once the candidates get the
contracts, they will organize locals to supply the raw materials like stones,
sand, bitumin etc. Again there will be some deals to profit everyone. If a
whistleblower screams, he knows the consequences. At the end of it, you will
have a road that will be built but will be reduced to moonscape by the next
monsoon. You cannot change this because many of our local bureaucrats and
politicians are involved NECK DEEP in it and thats the only way they will allow
things to work.

Occasionally contracts are given out to reputed players like L&T, Gammon India
etc. but they are forced to succumb to dictats from local pressure groups and
are not allowed the freedom to do the work the way they want.

If the CAG is vicious, do we have any parellel body at state level who can
gurantee the same kind of checks?

Are you aware of how the MIDC (Maharastra Industria Dev Corp), a state
government body had raised 1200 crores from the Market to fund the new
expressway between Mumbai and Pune. Its one of their showcase projects. No
marks for guessing if the Assam government has commitment to envisage such
projects and see them through conclusion.

A state needs workable controls in place to ensure things work. If even its
ministers elected by the STATE are out to make money, then its no point even
mentioning the CENTRE.

Rgds,
Sandip