AN APPEAL TO THE PEOPLE

We, the undersigned urge the people of Assam to
celebrate the 60th anniversary of our Independence Day
on August 15 in a befitting manner ignoring the
threats that have come from certain quarters.

We believe that we, the people of the State have every
right to celebrate the Day, as we have inherited the
spirit of the freedom fighters who had made immense
sacrifices and a good number of whom, like Kushal
Konwar and Kanaklata, had even laid down their lives
to free the country from the clutches of colonial
rulers. The Independence Day this time has added
significance as it coincides with the birth centenary
celebrations of martyr Bhagat Singh.

We therefore, call upon the people of the State to
hoist the National Tricolour on the Day atop their
houses and also to organize community celebrations in
their respective localities.

On the Day, we will also hoist the National Flag on
the Guwahati Press Club campus at 11a.m. So, itÂ’s our
appeal to the people to join the programme and make it
a success.

Nirupama Borgohain,

Dhirendra Nath Bezboruah

Dhirendra Nath Chakravarty,