>**** And YET, the Central Govt. has its own system, because ---? It
>has implicit in the state schools'   quality ? Because it merely
>provides it as an example of its benevolence, setting a higher
>standard? Or that it does not trust the state systems and therefore
>devised its own, funding it adequately and managing it with able
>people---for the benefit of ALL?

C'da,

You are reading way too much into what the Central Govt.is doing or not
doing.

First, there are 3 lists (if I remember the Indian Constitutions). They are
the Central List, the State List, and the Concurrent List.

Education happens to be on all three lists. One of the main reasons the
state list has education is for individual states to be able to develop
their own standards, and also in development of their literature and
culture. Would you want it otherwise?

Education in the central list is for the over all maintenance of educational
standards of all states. The University Grants Commission is one such org.
It sets standards and helps state institutions with grants and recognition.

Institutions under the Center like the Central Schools were set up so that
children of Central employees and military personnel are able to continue
with the same instruction when parents are frequently transferred.

Obviously, funding streams for state and Central institutions are different.
Some states are able to manage their institutions, while others like Assam,
want an old and well-respected institution like Gauhati University be taken
over by the Center.

Now, why is that. The State is trying to get the Center to take care of the
finances of GU, so the state financial responsibility can be shifted.

Now, you would blame the damn Center either way. If they did not take over
an institution like GU, you might say - 'look, the Center is trying to take
over an age old Assam Institution, blah, blah..

If the Center did not, you would claim benevolence, setting higher standards
etc,etc.
> Because it merely >provides it as an example of its benevolence, >setting
a higher >standard?

This is preposterous, someone complaining because the Center is trying to
set a higher standard? Would you like it to emulate lower ones? And then you
would moan and groan about the low standards of Indian institutions, their
products, and how incompetent Indian education system is.

As far as standards are concerned, states have the full control of their own
institutions and have the ability to set higher standards (or lower,
base-line ones). Who is stopping them? The Center? Then you would have
explain how on earth they do it?

A similar kind of system also exists in this country, which you already know
about. If you want to compare US system with that of India, then it must be
approached with the amount of $$ spent here per school/per student vs in
India and what outcomes have resulted.

I don't have the data at the tip of my fingers, but I am confident, that the
amount of $$ spent per student is far, far greater than in India, and the
rates of return are nothing to write home about (talking about schools not
universities).

--Ram