Krishnendu-da,

 While I would defend that India does not generate fools and US does not
generate only geniuses I must admit that quality of India's govt run run
schools can never be compared with US govt schools. 90% of USA's school
students graduate from govt/public schools and the percentage of selection into
top colleges is same for private or public schools.

 The top govt school in US is about 10 miles from where I stay is
http://www.tjhsst.edu/  which sent about 10 students  to Harvard (admission as
tough as in IITs in India) quite similar to the success of students of top US
private school Phillips Academy Andover http://www.andover.edu/

 Charter schools are run by private non profits but funded by govt -less well
funded that govt schools. Charter schools are successful since many govt
schools -esp in poorer areas like everywhere else are not as competitive and
effecient as they could be given the funds.

 Umesh

At 6:29 AM -0700 10/2/07, Krishnendu Chakraborty wrote:
>  >>seven kids out of a country of a billion people,
>knowing what I do,
>
>** You wanted examples which I have provided (SEVEN
>against ONE which you cited).  If you are willing and
>have time, you can search web to find more such kids
>from India BOTH from public and private institution
>(as cited by Umesh).
>

>>>While I am unwilling to
>>>pass verdict on the condition of Indian education
>
>You SHOULD NOT since you have no clue of today's India
>nor are you willing to learn
>

>>>Why is it that Kendriya Vidyalays get special
>funding , special
>>>teachers, while the rest of the country has to make
>do with what they
>>>have to?
>
>Education is a matter of STATE Govt.  While the Govt
>funded institutes in some states are doing pretty good
>it is NOT so for other states.  It is analogous to
>blaming me because you wasted your money on gambling
>(or whatever may be) while you too had every
>opportunity to utilize your money fruitfully.
>
>In US NOT all public schools are equal ... as I
>understand,  some school districts are considered
>superior to others.   So let us know why SOME schools
>do better then other schools.  And then  there are
>Charter Schools which get more funds.

umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Well as in India not all US public/govt
schools are the same. The Indian govt school my father studied at (
www.rimc.org ) sent a graduate to Harvard College recently (2002 I think)  - an
incentive for me to try the same.

Similarly Kendriya Vidyalayas in India are central govt run schools and have
sent graduates to IITs and beyond.

In US as well schools in  rich suburbs get upto 6 times more per student
funding ($25,000 per year) as compared to those in innercity/urban schools
($6,000 per year)  - hence it depends upon which neighborhood you are in .

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/03/18/a_nobel_champion_enters_fray/
 Here is a take by Nobel Laureate Mello now in MA (who studied in Fairfax High
School near my place ) on why he wants to put his children in private schools
unless the local school district fund the local schools better - he wants to
put his own Nobel prize money into it if need be - those in poorer
neighborhoods in US cannot expect the same  funds from local residents (as must
be known nearly all funding for US govt schools comes from property taxes of
that city.

Umesh
Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Re: [Assam] From Posoowa--Example of
Creativity in High Sc That was nice to note.

 One significant difference:  All of the students from India are from Private
Schools. Nandinee is from a public high school ( not like Indian Public School,
as in Doon School etc.), Shawnee Mission East High School, Kansas.