At 1:00 AM +0530 10/11/07, Nayanjyoti Medhi wrote:
@@@@ That it be preceded by a reasonable period of free and unfettered discussion and debate among the people of Assam about the whys and of the pros and cons of
        sovereignty for Assam, so that  people can make an informed judgement.

######## Reasonable period means? would you be more specific? Should I presume that 29 years are not reasonable enough for you? And people of Assam have not discussed and debated about the pros and cons? C Da, I am, what do you say? ........ Sorry, could not find the proper word. maybe you could find one for me and substitute.

**** How about YOU giving it a try? How long do you think is reasonable? A week, five, three months, a year ? Surely Indian intelligentsia know nothing about our troubles and care less . And Assam intelligentsia , steeped in that culture of dependency is clueless, more afraid of their xaandoh-khowa-baali-tol-jwa than give two hoots about trying to find an honorable, just and sustainable solution for what it cries itself hoarse but would not lift a finger to do something constructive.

So , show YOUR mettle Nayan. Can you put your money where your mouth is, with the courage of your convictions ?

        @@@@ That it be conducted under UN supervision.

####### UN supervision is quite acceptable. I mean to me and I presume to all. Can't say anything about the Government though. Not really concerned about the government as they have failed to provide the necessary security and peace for the development of the region.

**** If the government is representative of the people and is accountable to it, it must abide by the popular wish. So challenge it, or blow its cover exposing it for what it is.

But can you? Will you?

Or would you too succumb to excuses like Ram recounted?