1.  From the outrage we are seeing here,  people are
more concerned at Assam's Image NOT at modesty of the
woman (refer postings of BD, JS) .
     First, please clarify the reason of this outrage

2.  A picture often speaks much more then a thousand
line .... that is why photo journalism exists.
Without this picture you would not have seen such
reactions (Quote from CM --- "They are animals").
you as a lawyer should know it better  that the
impression this picture is going to have on a judge is
much more then a thousand lines.  In US court system,
pictures do play a vital role (I have some interest in
law though I am not a lawyer)

3.  Every person in the society has their own role to
play ......By your logic, a journalist covering war
should go and treat war victims instead of reporting.
Journalists are often termed as heartless but because
they are,  you can become aware of the crime happening
around the world.
 Did the media person Arnab Goswami (who is being
highly praised)  try to resist the hooligans ?

4.  If media would have given the photos to
police/government instead of publishing it,  there
would NOT have been the pressure on government  and
Government would have hushed up the matter (as they
tried initialy)

5.  If media people start flocking the court as
witnesses, will advocates cover their role ?

6.  Many are pointing that media was wrong but you as
an advocate can easily file a lawsuit against media if
they are wrong.  Will you?

7.  As an advocate, will you represent the victims
(this and other similar cases)  pro-bono

8.  For every criminal case, you have a criminal
advocate trying to save the criminal.  Can you, as an
advocate, give us assurance that NO advocate will
represent these (or other similar) criminals?

9.  Will you, as an advocate,  file a PIL against GOA
as to why they failed to control the situation?

I am all with you to protect Assam's interest ... .
But you seem to be blaming the wrong person for
degrading Assam ......  count me in if you are
condemning the right set of people .... the
government, police et al.

>>If I may,
>>1. Maybe the media could have given the tapes to the
police so that they
could catch the culprits (which they have done).
>>2. Maybe they could have given a detailed write up
instead of the photograph
or video.
>>3. Maybe they could have given the girl a piece of
cloth to cover her
modesty instead of a black strip on the photo or video
(I presume they were
Eye Witnesses).
>>4. Maybe they could have resisted the hooligans and
saved the girl from
getting stripped instead of shooting pictures (If I am
not wrong they did
not shoot pictures of the person who gave the girl a
piece of cloth to cover
her modesty).
>>5. Maybe they could have used their pens to condemn
the incident.

>>Uncovering the truth is of course  their duty but is
it not their duty to
save a girl from getting stripped in the first place.
Will they (the
>>photographers) go and testify against the molestors
in the court? If it is
their duty to uncover the truth? Can you give us
assurance that they will be
>>present in the court to ensure punishment to the
molestors? Or is it that
their duty finishes as soon as they click with zoom
lenses from safe
>>distances and publish the pictures?

Regards

Nayanjyoti Medhi

On Nov 29, 2007 8:03 PM, Krishnendu Chakraborty
<krish_gau at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >>  HIDING THE FACE OF THE WOMAN IS NOT THE
SOLUTION.
> >>WILL YOU AGREE TO SUCH A SOLUTION IF THAT HAPPENS
> >>TO YOUR OWN SISTER OR MOTHER OR ANY RELATIVE ?
>

> So what is the solution .... shove it under the
carpet
> just like our Netas  were trying to do until Media
> exposed it ?
>
> By your logic a rape victim should not move to
> court/police station !  You would probably advice
this
> if your relative is a victim of such incident.
>
> >From what I see in this forum, people are more
> concerned primarily because this exposure caused a
> negative publicity to Assam and NOT because they are
> concerned about the modesty of the woman.  This is
> apparent from many questioning why media exposed it
> for Assam and never do it for other places .
>
> May I know why you are shouting ...... or is it just
> that the CAPS lock in your keyboard is stuck :)
>

> >>Dear Mr Chakraborty
>
> >>  HIDING THE FACE OF THE WOMAN IS NOT THE
SOLUTION.
> >>WILL YOU AGREE TO SUCH A SOLUTION IF THAT HAPPENS
> >>TO YOUR OWN SISTER OR MOTHER OR ANY RELATIVE ?
>
> >>  Regards
> >>  Muktikam Phukan
>
> >>Krishnendu Chakraborty <krish_gau at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >>  Unless I am mistaken, ALL media reports blurred
> the
> face of the lady to hide identity. Exposing such
> henious acts are not a Assam/India media phenomenon
> but is done by media all over world.
>

> What is the allegation against media ---
>
> 1) That they exposed a crime
>
> 2) That it gave Assam a bad publicity
>
> 3) That the lady (whose identity is not disclosed by
> the photograph) has been insulted
>
> Seeing all the posts in this forum, I suspect it is
> number 2 above.
>
> But then, had media not exposed it, would there been
> such swift action from GOA. The GOA was earlier
trying
> to cover it up as a minor incident.
> The Assam Police already mentiond that they have
> identified the culprits from the media footage.
>
> If someone can prove that what media showed is
> false/fabricated, I am all with him in blaming media
> but this does not seem to be the case here.
>
> Yes, it gave a negative publicity to Assam but that
> was NOT because of Media's fault .... it was because
> of our Government's fault. The incident could have
> been controlled much earlier had the police force
been
> active.
>
> To dilute the situation, there are already comments
by
> some that the Adivasi's were inebriated, or that why
> they should demand such things in Assam.
> All set aside, there cannot be any justification to
> such barbaric act .. period.
>
> BTW, does someone know what happened to Barnali rape
> case ..... a child who was raped and murdered by
some
> Network travel employees?
>

> >>Media always exposes such incidents be it Assam or
> Abu Ghraib. I thought it is duty of Media.
>

> >> TIMESNOW has not shown any footage of the
stripped
> woman but reported the news with heavy condemnation.
> In fact Arnab >>Goswami has raised a very pertinent
> question -
>
> >> "HAS ANYONE TAKEN THE PERMISSION OF THE LADY
> BEFORE SHOWING HER NAKED PHOTOS ? ARE WE NOT ADDING
> FURTHER INSULT TO THE >>ALREADY INSULTED POOR WOMAN
?"