Dear Manoj

  I seem to remember the book and its get up. It had a hard bound, turbid in
its colour and had some sort of figure in the cover. I too suspect as you do to
be that of Tolstoy. My mother seconds me. May be the original title by Tolstoy
was different. Some people told me that they will look up. Has Chandan Da
wagered some where:-)?

Manoj Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  ok...i am forwarding this mail to shantanu nandan sharma..his grandfather
may know..

tc

On Dec 8, 2007 8:57 PM, Chan Mahanta wrote:

> I am not sure it was Tolstoy Manoj. I looked up Tolstoy's works and
> did not ring a bell. Must be some other great author.
>

> At 10:03 AM +0530 12/8/07, Manoj Das wrote:
> >is it by leo tolstoy?
> >
> >On Dec 8, 2007 8:54 AM, Chan Mahanta wrote:
> >
> >> Way back when I was in Class VI or VII, I read an Assamese
> >> translation of a novel entitled Maati aaru Manuh. If I am not
> >> mistaken, the two principal characters in the novel were Isaac and
> >> Einaar ( or Inaar) or something like that. Has anyone read it? If so
> >> who wrote the original and who was the translator? I am curious to
> >> all heck, now that I can't remember the details. BTW, it was a thick
> >> book.

Uttam Kumar Borthakur