Thanks Uttam.

I was confused once more when I wrote to Rajen confirming it to be
Jogesh Das, who probably was the author of another translated novel I
read about the same time " Daawor Aaru Nai"--a war story.

It will be interesting to find out about the origins of Maati aaru Manuh.

Incidentally, The Good Earth story did not seem to be the origin.

c-da