Just a few points.

The Airport Hotel in Kolkata is under contruction. We did get to stay in the
Senator (Camay street). Pretty good. Rs7500 +luxury tax. Airport pickup/drop
is about 1600.

The biggest hotel scams are in Delhi though. Last year we stayed at the the
JP Vasan International (near the airport). They charge about 13,000 + lux.
tax. For that price, one would expect a great room. The room was ok -
nothing to write home about. The hotel has a great foyer, great
complementary breakfast though.

A great hotel for its price was the Swagatham Beach Hotel in Kovalam. We got
a suite with a balcony overlooking the sea for 4500 per night. B'fast
complementary.

I find that hotels in Delhi/Mumbai are simply overrated and over priced.

--Ram