cousins' are, in fact,capable of casting a magic spell in the economic and
intellectual
development of Asom.

That is history. This perception has changed with the fall of the dollar and
the availability of commodities worldwide and increased ease of communication.
The 'natives' read as middle-class had such thoughts earlier, and now their
view has undergone a change.( For the poor the shine of the dollar never had
any meaning as such) . There is a joke doing the rounds now: such a cousin who
visits now a days is restrained from footing the restaurant bill, he is
showered with gifts of nikes, adidas, raybans, gucci, .... by the Indian
cousins, he is taken around in airconditioned car of german/ us/japanese/korean
make, he has to wear the seat-belts too and so he goes back dismayed that he
could not prove his point that he was justified in migrating to a better land!

Uttam Kumar Borthakur