>>>>When did this
word come about and when did the Assamese language originate is confusing, but
it is well established that his word and this language is not from the days of
Mahabharat.If that is so, what happened to the original people of
those Mahabharat times <<<

If we take the legitimacy of current nation-states on the basis of
centuries of common continuous political rule over the same
geographical boundary and inhabited by the same people, then
practically no country on the planet meets this criteria. Simply put,
shifting nature of political kingdoms and their boundaries over the
centuries legitimize virtually no country in its present form.
KJD