Looking at the dependency of Assam on her rivers and water-bodies since
time immemorial, definitely Assam could have possessed by now a huge
resource base of knowledge, a large number of local experts and strong
institutions on these areas............Xuanzang (Hiuen Tsang) had recorded
that King Kumara (Bhaskaravarman) when he visited North India (invited by
Harsa) loaded 30,000 of his elephant forces in 20,000 of his large boats
and then took Xuanzang along with him......everyone here knows about the
Bettle of Xoraighat..........the 18th century civil war followed by the
Burmese attacks destroyed Assam's traditions.............again, as it is
rightly mentioned that the current education system only revolves around
percentage of marks and around very few disciplines (tertiary education and
research in engineering, medical, social sciences.......is extremely
pathetic)....we could not build anything indigenous that is worthy enough;
we do not even have some enthusiastic people capable of at least copying
'good and essential examples abroad' (what initially the Japanese, Koreans
and now Chinese are doing - this also leads to development of indigenous
capabilities as Japanese and Koreans have already shown and Chinese are
already capable of doing many smart things).

As Mahanta kaideu/daideu (I dont know what is appropriate; I have no idea
of your age - I am 37, pls. suggest) has pointed out, hydrofoils must be a
very good idea; these are no doubt high-speed; these boats are providing
very high quality services in the Pearl River Delta region connecting Hong
Kong, Macau, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. Recently I had an experience of
travelling from Macau to Hong Kong. Even low cost Hong Kong Star-ferry type
(but better fuel efficient) for shorter trips - max 1/2hr can be also
feasible in a mix (of different technologies, requirements, commuter
behaviours...)

Regards
Amitabh Kakoty