Suppose for a moment we set aside the question of our own views on the ULFA,
its demands and the history of its movement.

Assume that at some point in time the representatives of the govt of India and
the ULFA actually meet across the table for negotiations - just like the Naga
or Bodo insurgency leaders did. You will agree that in that event - what will
be most important will be the actual nitty gritty of the negotiation itself and
that there is a possibility that there will  be a negotiated settlement.
History teaches us that such settlements often look very different from the
formal charters of the organizations.

In fact, there is little doubt that the organization ULFA, its historical
perspective and its full set of demands are controversial - there is no general
consensus on them. In particular, a large section (without trying to quantify
how large) do not actually sympathise with the ULFA or its demand for
sovereignty (just as a large section actually do).

However, on specific issues that the ULFA initially stood for, popular opinion
is often quite close to ULFA's perspective. For example, my own observation
most people actually sympathise with the fact that Assam is virtually in some
sort of a colonial socio-economic relationship with mainland India - whether or
not they think of it as a deliberate imposition or simply an outcome of history
to which the Assamese have contributed. Similarly, most people actually believe
that Assam's options of selling its natural resources to the world market at
fair prices are actually cut off. That, de facto, Assam has had little access
to its geographical neighbors on the east through whom it could have bought its
imports at much cheaper price than it currently does from rest of India. There
are many others - including those related to preservation of socio-cultural
rights of indigenous people.

Though I am not sure the ULFA is actually interested in this, the strongest
popular support for ULFA during an actual negotiation will be on issues about
which there is relatively strong convergence of opinion among the people of
Assam. The stronger the public opinion, the greater the bargaining power of the
ULFA on such issues. There is, therefore, an important role for building public
opinion among the people of Assam on a core set of issues for negotiation with
the government of India.

Let me clarify, I am not suggesting  that the people or their intellectuals
formulate ULFA's agenda. The ULFA is a partisan political organization with its
own aims to which we may or may not subscribe. But "the people at large" can
nevertheless extract important advantages from any negotiation by independently
building consensus on certain core demands that they may hope to see  reflected
in any final settlement. And even though it smacks of collective opportunism,
to not do so, would (almost by definition) be a historical opportunity
foregone.

Santanu.