Kudos for the only pragmatic point of view (IMHO) on
this whole debate.

Also given the kind of biases each one of us carry, my
orientation would mostly be focused on economics and a
little bit of politics. My two bits:

a. The central government "bribe" that should come
about as a natural course of buying peace. While the
central government's policies resulted in the problems
that gave rise to militancy, the militants did not
quite help the cause of the people by keeping them
devoid of economic progress for so long for so little.
This bribe should be for the people not the militants
(unlike the last time around when the militants
(SULFA) got the bonanza they are living up to this
day).

Just doing pure number crunching, this sum should be
no less than 10 times the "bribe" given to Nagaland
(Rs. 4000 crores). This amount therefore should be no
less than Rs. 40,000 crores.

b. Renegotiating the royalty on oil (and if possible
all past oil outflow) to result in a further sizable
inflow of money. I don't know the economics of this -
perhaps someone can elucidate.

c. The opportunity cost of militancy - for the people
to make up lost time and lost opportunities with more
funds to address more issues in far less time. This
opportunity cost should also be sizable.

d. To negotiate the SE Asia corridor initiative in a
manner that as a national infrastructure build up it
takes more priority over most other Indian issues for
the next 5 years. To execute the SE Asia corridor in a
manner that the BJP government formulated - actually,
in a manner that it is beneficial optimally for the NE
states. In fact to negotiatiate a NE development tax
on all merchandise crossing either way into
perpetuity. I am sure, in the economics of it, though
I have not analyzed it so far, there is margin for
both mainland India and the SE Asia nations to benefit
over the status quo right now and yet this development
tax can be paid. For reference, Pakistan will earn $
800 million for the oil pipeline that will pass
through it from Iran to India. And the road network
for merchandise flowing through is no different.

e. To use this as an opportunity to break up the
politician - militant - current Marwari business nexus
and bring changes in governance that will bring big
business houses to invest in the state as well as
enable local entrepreneurship to grow successfully.

This nexus has monopolised business and
entrepreneurship in the state in a manner inimical to
the populace at large.

And it can be broken by the government (both state and
federal) carrying with them in their negotiations big
business houses such as Wipro or Reliance Steel to
come in, give them enough sops to make it attractive
to invest in the state and throw on them enough social
strictures (whom to give low end contracts etc. and
whom not to).

On politics, I am sure there are way more competent
opinion givers. I am sure the Bangladeshi problem will
be solved in a manner that does not get colored by the
patronage that the current militants get or what
certain political parties think are votebanks.